January 23, 2013

my dear Sebastian

Posted by CHRISTIAN on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 in , , | 1 comment
today, i lost another companion in my life. i may never had treated him as a best friend but i knew he was always there for me in my ups and downs, saw my solitaire and what i did in my solitariness.
my beloved Baste died...
but before i begin my sad story, perhaps i haven't told anyone that yours truly is a pet lover. i love animals for i see my reflection in them (kidding).
seriously, i have a heart for animals. dogs and cats especially.
you may not believe me. once in my life i owned 3 dogs, 12 cats, a pair of rabbit and a pair of love birds all the same time. i cannot forget our house looked like a zoo that time and we're like the animal keepers.

several years ago, we adopted a puppy from a nobody-care-owner. his name is Baste. we got his name from the character of Mark Herras (Sebastian "Baste") in I Love New York of GMA 7 way back 2001.
Baste then was thin and infected with fleas and ticks. i was hesitant to take care of him. my brother-in-law gave him to me as a (gift) replacement for my first dog, Ivo, who just recently died that time. i took care of him with all my heart. he became physically healthy and active. but more often, lazy.

Baste is the 3rd dog i had. the first two died already. Baste is just a small black dog. but not too small like a chihuahua or a corgi.
pardon me, honestly, i don't really care about the breed and don't make an effort to find out so.
all the dogs and cats (i have 9) i owned were either just given to me, or picked by my mom along the way, while the others were uninvited guests who never left us. that's why whenever people ask me what breed of dog i have, i simply answer AsPin (Asong Pinoy) or AsKal (Asong Kalye). same goes with my cats.

moving on, Baste suffered from frequent urinating but with little amounts. we thought it's just a change in behavior since he's old (i guess for his type) already, 12 years old. but lately we observed drops of blood from his urine and his appetite lost already and became thin so fast. so we decided to bring him to Philippine Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals for check-up and free medications. i knew their facility there is not complete and i am ready to transfer him to a private clinic if the condition requires so.

and there we go. he was diagnosed with kidney stones and apparently old to endure heavy medications. they gave him vitamins and anti-infection but did not confine him and put under observation. for two days, we brought him to PSPCA. until early this morning, he had seizure and finally gave in. when i woke up, mom just told me that Baste left us already.
it was too soon but nevertheless, i am so happy Baste made my life happy for the past 12 years. i am relieved that he will no longer suffer the pain for it troubles my heart watching him die in pain.
of all my dogs, Baste is probably the most special since he's been with us the longest so far...

i love you Baste. i will surely miss you... ;(

__________________________________

i dedicate this post to all the pet lovers out there. always love your pets and always take care of them. they treat us like their Gods and they made us happy one way or another... they are our little comforts in life...



PS. sorry. it's intentional not to put picture of him... just make me sad ;( hope you understand.
hemingways, please click the link i provided there if in any case you want to get your pets seen by a vet.
and please also try this one at Philippine Animal Welfare Society (PAWS).


[christiansantamaria]


January 23, 2013 hospital

1 comment:

  1. poor dog:(
    well I never been too in touch with pets but i valued them
    just like person

    ReplyDelete